The Smith Family
The Smith Family is a national, independent children’s charity helping disadvantaged Australians to get the most out of their education, so they can create better futures for themselves.
Lots of information about the organisation including their history and objectives can be found at http://www.thesmithfamily.com.au/
Stephen Kaye, team captain and founder of RftK provides below some of his reasons for personally supporting The Smith Family:
- I believe that all kids should be given a fair go. The Smith Family attempts to provide Aussie kids with access to an education free of disadvantage.
- The Smith Family is a research led organisation: every action taken attempts to create a better future for the Aussie kids they support.
- The Smith Family breaks the cycle of disadvantage by helping kids at the start of their education and addressing the root causes of disadvantage.
- More than 85 cents in every dollar donated to The Smith Family is spent directly on supporting kids.
- The Smith Family supports kids long term. Some kids are supported from their first year at primary school right through to university graduation.
- Bupa Around the Bay in a Day allows me to combine my passion for cycling with something very positive – raising money to provide a better future for disadvantaged Aussie kids.
“My views and opinions are based upon being involved with The Smith Family for over 10 years, mainly through volunteering opportunities. I’ve met some of their head office staff and field workers, some of the kids they support along with their families and have spoken to teachers in schools with kids sponsored by The Smith Family.
Everything I have seen and heard supports my view that The Smith Family makes a real and lasting difference to the kids they support.”